Thursday, October 20, 2011

Whiskey in The Jar (Irish Folk Song)

Introduction

This is an Irish folk song, one of my favorite. The reason is too obvious, it is covered by both Metallica and U2, both, my favorite bands. I first thought it is a Metallica's song ( I was not aware of Thin Lizzy's version). One day, when I was searching in Youtube, I stumbled upon U2's version. Then I searched about the history of the song to find out that it is an Irish folk song adaptation. The song tells the story of an angry Irishman who was betrayed by his girl. Whatever! I fell in love with the folk version by MEZ's in "God Save Ireland". The chords for the song is pretty easy. Give it a try!

Verse

   A                    F#m
As I was going over the far famed Kerry mountains,
  D                               A
I met with Captain Farrel and his money he was counting.
  A                            F#m
I first produced my pistol and then produced my rapier,
        D                       A
Saying 'Stand and deliver for I am a bold deceiver'.


Chorus


     E
With me ring am a do ama dah
A
Whack fol the daddy o,
D
Whack fol the daddy o,
        A       E7     A
There's whiskey in the jar.

He counted out his money and it made a pretty penny
I put it in my pocket and I gave it to my Jenny
She sighed and she swore that she never would deceive me
But the devil take the women for they never can be easy


Chorus: (repeat)


I went into my chamber all for to take a slumber,
I dreamt of gold and jewels and for sure it was no wonder.
But Jenny drew my charges, she filled them up with water,
She sent for Captain Farrel to be ready for the slaughter.

No comments: