Saturday, April 26, 2014

My Experience with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in my new laptop due to laziness. (Yes, that was to top most reason as I was not in a mood to download a new distro. My USB drive had Ubuntu 12.04 as I used it lastly to install the same in my friend's laptop.) The laptop originally came with Windows 8. But I am happy only after wiping all the traces (installation, hidden rescue partition, drivers partition and even the Windows sticker) of it from my laptop. Now let me share my experience in upgrading and using 14.04 LTS.

First I did a normal update and made sure that all things are up to date. Then I opened update-manager through terminal and it showed that 14.04 is available. I chose to upgrade. It downloaded some 2300+ packages (around 1 GB) and took nearly 2 hours to get completed. Occasionally it asked few things like which display manager to use (as I have installed 4 desktop environments) and there was a change in only one conf file. So everything went fine.


After the reboot, I was taken aback by the speed. But on the other hand, the brightness control stopped to work. All other hardware drivers like bluetooth, Wi-Fi, touchscreen, volume keys, suspend/resume were working fine. So I did these simple changes to get things working! Overall the UI and the system are optimized and they run faster than earlier version. Also the UI is polished to work well with touch devices. So it is a great deal for people having touch laptops.

It packs lot of goodies and everything you need from media player to office applications are readily available. With Ubuntu LTS, you also get enterprise quality, robust and secure OS, which will be supported for another 5 years. Hope my laptop will live longer than that!

Boot speed has greatly improved.I logged in to the default Unity interface for the first time. I was greeted with a screen detailing how to use Unity. Fine. The UI is smooth and as a Gnome user, I like Unity too. Only thing is that, whatever you search in Unity will be sent to internet for searching other service providers, especially Amazon. You can easily disable it though! Just type privacy in the search box and turn off Internet search. You can also remove Amazon extension from software center or through command line.


Now my favorite, Gnome 3! It too was awesome. Clean and responsive. But due to my low end processor and lesser RAM, there were some occasional lags. But still it is usable.
 
Gnome Classic modes are also available in the login screen itself. Both Metacity and Compiz options to play with! It too is polished and less resource savy. I usually choose this session, if I am going to kill time with games and media.


LXDE desktop offers a old style but lightning fast experience. The LXDE needs some touch-ups to make things like screenshots and brightness control to work. But thankfully, they are all easily configurable!


XFCE experience is also smooth. I prefer this for most of the times as it is bit heavier than LXDE but lot lighter than Gnome or Unity, perfect for my laptop configuration!

No comments: