Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Skillet – Music Review

I like to hear Contemporary Christian Music (CCM). Especially Christian Rock and Christian Metal. My favorites CCM artists/bands include Paul Baloche, Delirious, Third Day, Don Moen, Ron Kenoly, Day of Fire and you know, the list never ends :)

But I had missed one of the best Christian Rock bands till recently. They are the Skillet! I bought one of their CDs in 2008 (Comatose) but I misplaced it along with old driver CDs. My bad!! Then one day I happened to hear their song accidentally while watching some CCM videos in Youtube. They were awesome! Then I listened many of their songs and almost all of them are great.

Three days later, I was cleaning my room and stumbled upon the “Comatose” CD. It was like a blessing for me! I really didn't remember that I bought that CD at all. So I added it to my CCM collection in PC and also transferred it to my mobile. With little effort I purchased few more of their albums. Now I hear their songs almost daily and their song “Hero” from their album “Awake” has become my ringtone!

Music Style

The music style of Skillet is a kind of fusion of Hard Rock, Nu Metal, Progressive Rock and some times even Grunge. Especially the songs in Awake album sounds much like Nu Metal. If you are a fan of Linkin Park, then surely you will like Awake! The drummer of the band is a woman. You can't find such fast paced powerful drum beats from a woman usually. But believe me, their songs have such good drums. Guitar and keyboard needs special mention too. The lead male singer is the one who plays Bass. WOW! Only few can manage lead singing along with bass like Sting. The rhythm guitarist also sings a good part of the songs. Together, they put everything they can to treat our ears with great music.

Lyrical Style

Their lyrics have very deeper meaning and each sentence echoes the Christian beliefs and values. The lyrics for most part lack explicit mention of God or Christ and it lacks Christian jargons too. But the theme is Christian to the core and without explicit reference, they have delivered the Christian message right to our hearts. None of the songs are self-centered and glorify men. Mostly the songs talk about the inabilities and shortfalls of human nature and our need for Divine help to set things right. The lyrics make the songs suitable for hearing any time, any place.

My Favorite Songs

1. Hero

This song is from the album Awake. It is a nice song with Nu Metal like music. Its lyrics talks about we are not super humans and special, just another ordinary person who needs a saving hand in everything we do.

2. Awake and Alive

This song is also from the Awake album. The music is rich with violin and keyboard along with usual rock instruments (guitar, bass and drums). The song is like slipping in to sleep/unconsciousness in a state of inability and to wake up with full life and kicking.

3. Live Free or Let Me Die

This is song is from Comatose. With very heavy guitar power chords and awesome riffs, this song packs the message of freedom. Without freedom, what is the use of living like a cyborg? With fast paced drum rolls, the song will make you bang your head for sure.

4. Rebirthing

This song is also from Comatose album. This song talks about the rebirth in to a new life. Dying to the old self and the first breath we take in Christ. Like a butterfly waiting to come out of the cocoon, everyone of us are living a life inside shells we ourselves have created. We should realize that we are not made just to stay dormant inside that shell but to fly and enjoy the world like a butterfly! The video of the song is also very nice.

5. Comatose

This song, is obviously from the album Comatose. The song has very good music with touch of fast paced piano notes and heavy guitar riffs. “I don't wanna breath, I don't want to live” This is the usual mindset we go in to when we face tough situations. This song talks about How realizing Christ is with us will make us feel comfortable and give us strength to go on with life.

There are lot many songs I like from other albums like Alien Youth and Rise. If you want to try some songs, just go to Youtube and listen to some of their songs. If you like their music and their themes, you can buy their CDs too. If you are a Skillet fan, please share your favorite songs and your experience in comments. Thanks for reading.

No comments: