Sunday, March 30, 2014

Games I Loved to Play Back Then!

I started using computers back in 1992. At that time, in my village, only few computers were in use. None of them had those fancy and costly GUI or mouse. Almost all of them ran DOS and I remember one Apple machine which started malfunctioning the very next day I joined the computer class. As everyone else, for me computer class means, playing games and boasting everywhere else that I am a hardcore programming geek :-) So, here I am going to share my experience about few games which I played as a kid.

1. Paratrooper

This was the first game I saw on a PC. That was the first PC I ever saw itself. When I walked in to the computer classroom, I saw a girl tapping the keyboard franticly. I looked in to the screen and some helicopters and paratroopers. WOW! That was cool. I thought in few days, I could also do many such things in computer (i.e. I thought I could develop a game itself!) It is a very crazy game. When 3 or more paratroopers land on any one side, you are doomed. Also you should be careful about those bombers.

2. PC Man

This is the second game I saw in action. It was usually played by those seniors or tutors in the class. We just sit behind them and cheer them. I remember seeing one person going up to 8 or 9th level. This game was awesome and it was highly addictive. This looks great those black and white PC screens.

3. Dangerous Dave

This game is the first side-scrolling game I ever played. It was bit advanced compared to PC Man or Paratroopers. It had entirely different levels, guns, jet-packs, wrap-zones (bonus levels). It has 10 exciting levels. In every level, we need to collect a trophy to get access to the door. We have played till we have attempted all funny things in that game and scored up to all possible digits showed 9 :-)

4. Prince of Persia

The first game with descent storyline and good graphic (yes, back in those days). You have to fight sultans to rescue the princess from the evil Jafar. To open a door, there are keys on floor. In some level (I don't remember), the key would be in a very distant and dangerous place. Even a second's delay the door will close before you return. There are magic potions to give health, ability to survive falls etc. And to note, this is the first game in which I used cheat codes. You can increase health, instantly kill enemy, increase time left etc with those cheat codes!

5. Wolf 3D

There was a new PC one day. It had color monitor. It had a mouse! And it had Wolf 3D on it! Wow!!! This became the favorite game of mine for 3 years. I played and played till those crazy 3D effects gave me headaches and nausea. But still, the sessions used to continue for hours. If you are a Nazi hating person like me, then this is your game! You can kill those evil Nazis, even today from your PC ;-) This game also had cheat codes. I just go in to god mode (can't be injured) and take all weapons and start shooting anything on sight!

Those were the golden days of PC games. PC had a different meaning back then. We enjoyed games with minimal effects but great concepts. We even wrote some games in GWBASIC. Even today when I am free, I visit http://www.msdosgames.com/ and play my childhood favorites. Given are just few games. I loved lot more games like Ninja Turtles, Shadow Knights, DemonStar, Lion King, Aladdin, F1 Race, Road Rash and hell lot of others. Please share your childhood game experiences in comments. Thanks for reading.

No comments: