Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Favorite Addictive Games

I am a very poor gamer. I hate playing games generally. But sometimes I play games to the level that the game starts to interfere my daily life. I used to forget about exams next day or having supper till all the shops are closed (when I was staying alone). But wait! Don't imagine some games with pretty graphics or which needs lot of finger works. Games I love may look silly. Here comes the list

1. Minesweeper/KMines/Mines

Even though I exclusively use GNU/Linux at home, I worked with some XP machines in college labs, friends' houses and at work. From there I got infected with Minesweeper. That is the only thing I love that comes from the house of Microsoft. But still it is morally wrong to play it! I am the guy who frantically clicks both mouse buttons during those silent post-lunch sessions. Even at home I play KMines/Mines. I prefer KMines/Mines indeed, because they are free software. This game is suitable to be played in short breaks.

KMines - KDE flavor!

The GNOME Mines

2. KReversi/Iango

There was a game in my old Nokia 2300 phone. It was named "Opposite". The game is very simple yet interesting one. I remember playing a similar game in TV video-game at my friends home only once. Its name was "Othello", I think. If you get the corners and with some trick moves, you can win. This game is also suitable for quick breaks, bus travels etc. I used to play between studying each unit while preparing for examinations. I have even taken 64/64 in all difficulty levels in my phone.

Kde's KReversi

Iango

3. Freeciv

This is a weekend game. If you want to earn the ire of everyone in your family, then try Freeciv on a weekend day. You will forget to take bath, eat your breakfast or do anything else when you start this game. All you do is stare at the screen and slowly move/click mouse. The good thing is, people won't realize that you are playing unless they look in to your screen. I have escaped like this, playing for hours while everyone in my family assumed that I am doing some office work even during weekends.


4. 2048

This is a relatively new game. But soon it took over a considerable share of my thoughts. The temptation is high even while writing this piece. Currently I have restricted myself by not installing it in my mobile. Because I know exactly where it will take me if I have it in my mobile. I prefer playing the online version. The game can be short or long and the problem is, you won't settle with one try. You will always crave for another!

http://saming.fr/p/2048/


5. Tetris

From TV video-game to mobiles, this game is omnipresent and it is the all time favorite of everyone in our family. This game can last as long as possible in expert hands. I often mess up trying to hit a tetris, waiting for the 4-block-line to come. And that awkward moment, when someone peeps in to the screen, I just quit the game quickly and pretend that I am seriously doing something else.

As I told earlier, these games don't pack great graphics or effects. But they pack a hell lot of fun. They improve your decision making skills and gives our brain a good exercise. You can share about the games you love in comments :-)

No comments: